Medical Terminology Quiz
1) The general meaning of "corpus" is
(A) abdomen(B) body(C) chest(D) head(E) trunk2) Which of the following is the term for an abnormally low white blood cell count?
(A) Anemia(B) Leukemia(C) Leukocytosis(D) Leukopenia(E) Leukoplakia
3) An area of dead myocardial tissue is called
(A) angina pectoris(B) hypertrophy(C) an induration(D) an infarct(E) stenosis
4) The term "lithiasis" means
(A) constriction of tissue(B) dissolving(C) abnormal condition of stones(D) penetrating a cavity(E) stretching of tissue
5) Menarche refers to which of the following?
(A) Beginning of menstruation(B) Development of female characteristics(C) End of childhood(D) End of pregnancy(E) Primary infertility
6) Adipose tissue is made of which of the following?
(A) Fat cells(B) Lymph nodes(C) Muscles(D) Skin (E) Tendons
7) Which of the following terms refers to the ability to breathe comfortably only when in an upright position?
(A) Apnea(B) Dyspnea(C) Eupnea(D) Hypercapnia(E) Orthopnea
8) Which of the following is the term for abnormally large breasts in men?
(A) Gynander(B) Gynecomania(C) Gynecomastia(D) Gynephobia(E) Gynoplastics
9) Which of the following terms means drainage from the nose?
(A) Rhinolalia(B) Rhinomycosis(C) Rhinophyma(D) Rhinorrhaphy(E) Rhinorrhea
10) The combining form "cephal/o" refers to the
(A) abdomen(B) head(C) neck(D) ribs(E) spine
11) The prefix pertaining to fingernail is
(A) odont-(B) olfact-(C) omphal-(D) onco-(E) onych-
12) Inflammation of a sweat gland is known as
(A) colitis(B) fasciitis(C) hidradenitis(D) pimelitis(E) rhinitis
13) The prefix meaning outside or outer is
(A) ana-(B) dia-(C) epi-(D) exo-(E) peri-
14) The prefix "brady-" means
(A) away from(B) downward(C) irregular(D) slow(E) without
15) The patient's complaint of painful menstrual periods will be documented in the medical record as
(A) amenorrhea(B) dysmenorrhea(C) menorrhagia(D) menorrhea(E) metrorrhagia
16) Which of the following suffixes refers to eating?
(A) "phagia" (B) "phasia"(C) "phonia"(D) "plegia"(E) "praxia"
17) Which of the following terms refers to pain?
(A) Arthralgia(B) Diplopia(C) Dysplasia(D) Hemiplegia(E) Urticaria
18) Which of the following is the definition for aphagia?
(A) Extreme thirst(B) Inability to hear(C) Inability to swallow(D) Loss of hair(E) Pain free
19) Which of the following suffixes means "incision into"?
(A) -ectomy(B) -plasty(C) -scopy(D) -stomy(E) -tomy
20) Which of the following is the CORRECT spelling for the plural of bronchus?
(A) Bronchuses(B) Bronchii(C) Bronchi(D) Bronchae(E) Broncha
21) Which of the following is the plural form of the medical term that means chest?
(A) Alveoli(B) Apices(C) Calyces(D) Pleurae(E) Thoraces
22) The notation "subq" indicates an area between
(A) bone and bone marrow(B) dermis and muscle(C) fascia and bone(D) muscle and bone(E) muscle and vein
23) OS is a standard abbreviation for
(A) both eyes(B) left eye(C) right eye(D) left ear(E) right ear
24) Instructions to take a medication "pc" means
(A) at bedtime(B) before meals(C) after meals(D) every morning(E) when needed
25) "K" is the symbol for
(A) barium(B) calcium(C) iron(D) hydrogen(E) potassium
26. Which of the following is the chemical symbol for iron?
(A) F(B) Fe(C) Fr(D) I(E) Ir
27) Which of the following is the term for reconstruction of the eardrum?
(A) Myringotomy(B) Otoplasty(C) Stapedectomy(D) Tympanocentesis(E) Tympanoplasty
28) Colporrhaphy is the repair of the
(A) bladder(B) intestines(C) spleen(D) uterus(E) vagina
29. Which of the following terms describes surgical fixation of the uterus in a suspended position?
(A) Hysterectomy(B) Hysterodesis(C) Hysteropexy(D) Hysteroscopy(E) Hysterotripsy
30) A pyloromyotomy is performed in which of the following body systems?
(A) Cardiovascular(B) Gastrointestinal(C) Musculoskeletal(D) Nervous(E) Reproductive
31) Which of the following is a surgical procedure in which a pendulous breast is lifted and fixed to the chest wall?
(A) Mastostomy(B) Mastotomy(C) Mastectomy(D) Mastopexy(E) Mesopexy
32) Which of the following is an incision made to enlarge the opening of the external urethra?
(A) Cystotomy(B) Meatotomy(C) Nephrostomy(D) Pyelostomy(E) Ureterotomy
33. Korotkoff sounds are evaluated when
(A) counting the apical heartbeat(B) determining the blood pressure(C) performing ultrasonography(D) counting the respirations(E) evaluating the pulse
34. Which of the following is a nonsterile procedure?
(A) Amniocentesis(B) Cystoscopy(C) Peritoneal dialysis(D) Proctosigmoidoscopy(E) Renal biopsy
35) Which of the following is a procedure in which synovial fluid is removed for analysis?
(A) Apheresis(B) Arthrocentesis(C) Arthrography(D) Arthroscopy(E) Articulation
36) Which of the following procedures is indicated when an abnormal growth is identified on barium enema x-ray study?
(A) Arthroscopy(B) Bronchoscopy(C) Colonoscopy(D) Cystoscopy(E) Colposcopy
37) A patient scheduled for echoencephalography will undergo a study of which of the following?
(A) Abdomen(B) Brain(C) Heart(D) Lungs(E) Spine
38) Which of the following physicians specializes in treating patients with diseases of the liver?
(A) Hematologist(B) Hepatologist(C) Nephrologist(D) Oncologist(E) Rheumatologist
39) Which of the following branches of medicine specializes in the study of the musculoskeletal system?
(A) Gynecology(B) Nephrology(C) Orthopedics(D) Pediatrics(E) Urology
40) A patient with encephalitis is most likely to be treated by which of the following specialists?
(A) Endocrinologist(B) Hematologist(C) Neurologist(D) Oncologist(E) Radiologist
41) A cystoscope is an instrument used most commonly by a specialist in
(A) endocrinology(B) gastroenterology(C) gynecology(D) radiology(E) urology
42) A patient who has hypergonadism, prolactinoma, and hirsutism will most likely be referred to which of the following specialists?
(A) Immunologist(B) Pathologist(C) Rheumatologist(D) Endocrinologist(E) Gerontologist
43) Polydipsia, polyuria, good appetite with weight loss, and blurred vision are signs and symptoms of
(A) diabetes mellitus(B) gout(C) hypothyroidism(D) marasmus(E) polyposis coli
44) Dysphonia is a common symptom of which of the following conditions?
(A) Iritis(B) Laryngitis(C) Pneumonitis(D) Rhinitis(E) Stomatitis
45) Which of the following is a malignant tumor of the eye that is known to be hereditary?
(A) Glioblastoma(B) Neuroblastoma(C) Osteocarcinoma(D) Pheochromocytoma(E) Retinoblastoma
46) Which of the following are round bacteria that grow in pairs?
(A) Streptococci(B) Diplococci(C) Bacilli(D) Spirilla(E) Staphylococci
47) Which of the following words is MISSPELLED?
(A) Adenopathy(B) Basaphil(C) Edematous(D) Hemopoiesis(E) Myeloid
48) Which of the following medical terms is spelled CORRECTLY?
(A) Albumine(B) Hemorrhoid(C) Larinx(D) Opthalmology(E) Prostrate
49) Which of the following spellings is CORRECT?
(A) Abecess(B) Abces(C) Abscess(D) Abscus(E) Absess
50) Which of the following is the CORRECT spelling for the focusing ability of the eye?
(A) Accomedation(B) Accommodation(C) Acomodation(D) Acommodation(E) Acommedation